Blogs

because complaining and ranting on facebook gets tiring

Monday, November 23, 2015

Mishimoto install and review



since the JK is creeping up to 50k I figured it's time to flush the coolant, and since I'm doing that I might as well change my pump, thermostat, and radiator.
first things first, grill off.
 The whole install took about 2:30-3hrs, between when I popped the grill off to when I turned the key.










 
fan shroud off




















radiator unbolted from condenser

the four 8mmmm bolts holding the condenser to the radiator are a pain in the dick to get off, and even worse to get back on.

















side by side, OEM vs Mishimoto. There was nothing wrong with my OEM radiator, just felt like upgrading since I've been eyeing that radiator for a long time.















OEM water pump next to a Crown pump. The OEM pump uses a plastic impeller. There was nothing wrong with my water pump...actually, there wasn't anything wrong with anything I was changing. The main concern was the coolant, all the new parts were just a bonus.

















almost there























all done and ready to go

























So since I'm making this post weeks after it's been installed I can actually give decent information on how it's running. To make it simple, it works as expected; in a way the radiator is overkill for a stock engine. With the stock radiator, the temperature would hold steady at around 204 on the highway. Wi the Mishimoto radiator it holds 194 and on cold days it actually ran at around 192. Cold is good but not too cold since heat dissipated is energy lost, which is potential power lost. But that's a whole other can of worms. Until next time

No comments:

Post a Comment